Pressure’s on…

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This was possibly the most exciting bit of the process so far – fitting the four sheets of solid marine ply that make the actual sides of the boat. As the board we had was quite a bit heavier than the specifications, we had some real concerns about whether it would bend into shape. Following a top tip from Cara, and an artful improvised bath construction from Ian, we set the boards to soak for 24 hours before we started. The marine resin is (we hope) unaffected, but the wood fibres themselves naturally soften with moisture and then set in their new configuration as they dry.

The tricky thing was getting the angle right on the front posts – with nothing much to go by but feel, and four different sets of eyes and opinions… However, we arrived at a solution we liked and worked our way back along the boat, watching the straight-sided boards miraculously produce their lovely raking curve as they were pulled in tight against the ‘knees’. Then we had to construct ‘straps’ to join the rear boards to the front, and wait a good half day while the glue set solid before we could safely attempt the final curve.

Thankfully, all went smoothly and we now have what is, in essence, an actual boat… …though there’s a fair amount of work to go before we can complete the finishing touches and set it afloat!

The photos above give a bit of a sense of the process. Thanks also to Cara and others who got their hands dirty wrestling the boards into place, but didn’t show up in the photos…

IMG_20150301_162528

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s